Toggle mobile menu visibility

Apply for a school place mid-year (school transfer)

Changing school during the academic year.

Have you considered Welsh-medium education for your child? You can find more information on the benefits here.


Before you decide to request a transfer to another school, for reasons other than a house move you should consider your options very carefully and discuss your reasons and any issues with the headteacher of your child's current school. A change of school does not always resolve a problem and in some circumstances a move can create difficulties particularly where a pupil is mid-way through examination studies, for example, during years 10 and 11.

If you move into the area during the school year or you want to transfer your child to another school during the school year, you may wish to arrange to visit the proposed school to discuss the move and options available. If you decide to proceed with the transfer you will need to complete an application form.

Important information to note before making an application
Applications are processed in date order within 15 school days or 28 calendar days (whichever is sooner) of the application being received by the local authority.

The address at which the pupil is resident - on the application you must provide your current home address, not a proposed or future intended address for this question.  If you are moving home you should include the proposed moving address and moving date as additional information on the application.

If you have more than one child that requires a school place, please complete a separate application for each child.

When completing the form, the pupils main residential address should be used. Please refer to our . If you are moving home, please also include your proposed address and moving date.

Moving into the catchment area does not guarantee your child a place at the catchment school.

If there is room in the appropriate year group, your child will be given a place. If the year group is full, for example, they have admitted up to their admissions number (AN) then you will be contacted in writing and told that the local authority is unable to give your child a place. You will be given the option to appeal against the decision not to award a place at the chosen school.

If you are not offered a place because the school you apply for is full, then your child's name will be placed on the waiting list and kept on the list for the remainder of the academic year. If any places become available while your child's name is on the waiting list, then the place will be offered to the children using the oversubscription criteria.

Mid-year transfer application for primary schools - Apply online

Mid-year transfer application for secondary schools -  Application for mid-year admission to secondary school (Word doc) [94KB]

This form is available in Welsh - click on 'Cymraeg' in the top right corner of your screen.


Admission arrangements in-year transfer 2024 / 2025

School contact details

Apply online for a primary school place mid-year

Make an application to change primary school during the academic year.
Close Choose Language

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon
Last modified on 03 July 2024