Search site
Market stall

Street trading

Street trading is selling or offering to sell any item in the street. This includes any road, path, beach, or other area to which the public have free access to.

All streets in Swansea need to have Street Trading Consent to trade. There are two designated trading areas in Swansea, the Inner Zone covering the city centre and Outer Zone which covers all public and private land within the local authority area outside the City Centre.

City Centre (Inner Zone)

There are currently 11 designated pitches in the city centre some of which have been or are in the process of being allocated. You can see our  PDF Document Inner Zone summary (PDF, 140KB)Opens new window for details of the status of each of the City Centre pitches in terms of their availability and planning consent.   

The aim of the scheme is to raise the profile of street trading in the City Centre in terms of the appearance and management of the pitches as well as to provide a platform for business development in the heart of the city.

How to apply for the City Centre 

You can apply online using our city centre street trading application form. You must pay your first month's fee with the application.

City centre street trading consent application

All applications received will be considered relevant to the conditions laid out in the application pack and that the first months fees or full fee for the term applied for has been enclosed with the application.

In order to minimise the delay to applicants, a period of 28 days consultation will commence at this point after which the applications will be scrutinised by our Street Trading Allocation Panel before being offered to individual traders.  This process will pay particular attention to the design and maintenance of the stall and the range and type of products / services being proposed.


Outer Zone (outside City Centre)

The other trading area is the Outer Zone - all public and private land within the local authority area outside the City Centre.

You may be exempt from applying for outer zone consent if you are a news vendor or rounds-men. Please contact Trading Standards on 01792 635600 if you think you may be exempt before you commence trading.

How to apply for the Outer Zone

There is a separate application form for the Outer Zone and you should complete this in full. Please make sure that you read the guidance notes before completing the form. You must pay your first month's fee with the application. 

Outer Zone street trading consent application


With both the City Centre and Outer Zone applications once received they will go through a 28 day consultation process where a copy of your application is sent to agencies relevant to the application to see that there are no objections.  Once the application has gone through this process and there are no objections, a Street Trading Consent will be issued along with all other relevant documentation, with the date you can start trading and when the Consent expires.

If there are any objections then the application will be referred to the council's Licensing Committee who will review the application. Their decision is final and there is no appeal.



You must submit your first month's fee with the application or full payment for the term applied for.

If you choose to pay the remainder of the fees due monthly you must complete the Direct Debit form.  Alternatively an invoice will be sent to you to pay the remainder of the fees shortly after your Street Trading Consent is issued. 

Tacit consent

It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact Trading Standards.


Planning permission for the City Centre will be arranged by Council Officers.  However if you are planning to trade from a Pitch in the Outer Zone you may also need to have planning permission.  Please contact the Planning Department on 01792 636000 to check prior to making your application.

Food Registration for Street Traders

If you are selling food you need to register your mobile vehicle with the local authority in whose area the vehicle is stored when not in use. Once completed and returned to them, they will make arrangements with you to check your trading vehicle to ensure it complies with the relevant legislation.


Cars being sold by the side of the road

It is an offence to place or offer a car for sale at the side of the road without a Street Trading Consent under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 Schedule 4 - Street Trading.

It is also an offence to place two or more cars for sale at the side of the road within 500m of each other under the Cleaner Neighbourhood Act 2005.

For further information please contact Trading Standards.

Powered by GOSS iCM