Search site

Residential and nursing care

You, or your relative, may be thinking about a care home because you have gradually found it more difficult to manage at home, or because an illness or accident has affected your ability to live independently.

However with the right sort of support, many people are able to continue living at home and it might be worth considering what support may be available to you to help you to continue to do this. There is more information in our Living Independently at Home pages.

Sometimes, after a period of ill health, a stay at a specialist assessment and reablement service can give you the skills and confidence to manage at home, perhaps with domiciliary and health care support, rather than moving to long-term residential care.  


Before you make the decision to move to a care home you, your carer or a relative should ask Social Services for an assessment of your care needs. Knowing what sort of care and support you need will help you to choose a care home which is right for you. Or there may be support that can be provided for you in your own home that could help you to continue to live there rather than move. There is no charge for an assessment, and you can have one even if you know you would not be eligible for financial help from Social Services.  If you are requesting financial support from the local authority for long-term residential care, a stay in an ‚ÄčAssessment Unit may form part of the assessment process.

Do I need a Residential or Nursing Home?

Residential care homes offer help with personal care, along with services such as laundry and meals. Some homes offer short-term or respite stays but normally they provide long-term or permanent care.

If your illness or disability means you need regular nursing care, and this cannot be given in your own home, you may need to move to a care home with nursing. Nursing staff will be available 24 hours a day in a nursing home.

Information and Advice

Our  includes a list of residential care homes in Swansea, as well as other relevant information.  

Independent advice can also be helpful if you are moving to a care home. There are links below to other organisations who provide advice and information about residential care.

Choosing a Care Home

What sort of care home would be most suitable for you will depend on the amount and type of care that you need.

Paying for Residential Care

How much you will have to pay for residential care depends on your income, savings and other assets.

City and County of Swansea Care Homes

Information about Council run care homes in the City and County of Swansea.

Paying for Care: Hospital Discharge to a Residential or Nursing Home

This information is for people who are to be discharged from hospital into a care home during the current Covid-19 pandemic.

Powered by GOSS iCM