Toggle mobile menu visibility

Riding establishments

Stables which hire out horses or ponies for riding or instruction must be licensed by us. You will also be inspected yearly by an officer and a vet.

Before we issue the licence an officer from the council and a veterinary surgeon will inspect the buildings. You need to make sure you have planning permission for all of these before applying to us.  

You will not be given a licence if you've been banned from keeping a riding establishment, or convicted of any other animal welfare offences.

How to apply

Apply for a riding establishment licence Apply for a riding establishment licence

You must complete the application form in full.  You will need to pay the application fee when you submit your form.  There will be a fee to pay for the vets visit once this has been done.


Animal licences fees Animal licences fees

You must submit your fee with the application.  You will be asked to pay a further fee to cover the vets visit once that has taken place.

If you apply by post you should make cheques payable to 'City and County of Swansea' and send it with your completed form.


Tacit consent

It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact Licensing.


If you have any problems with your application or would like more information then please contact us on 01792 635600 or email Any applicant who is refused a licence or who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court.

Apply for a riding establishment licence

Use our online form to apply for a licence to keep a riding establishment.

Guidance notes on applying for a licence for a riding establishment

If you are thinking of applying for a riding establishment licence you should read this guidance so you know how licensing works and what is expected of you.

Register of licensed riding establishments in Swansea

We hold a public register of all premises licensed by us under the Pet Animals Act 1951.