Search site

Prior to making a New/Variation Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate application please contact us via email

Premises licences

A premises licence will cover the sale and supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment and the provision of late night refreshment.

What is regulated entertainment?

  • performance of a play
  • exhibition of a film
  • indoor sporting events
  • boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • performance of live music 
  • playing of recorded music
  • performance of dance

What is late night refreshment?

This is the sale of hot food or drink between 11.00pm and 5.00am.

Applying for a new premises licence

You should complete the application form in full.  Please make sure that you read the guidance notes fully before completing the form.

If you wish to sell alcohol you will also need to provide the name and details of a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). They will have to hold a personal licence. The DPS will have to complete the consent form at Appendix C in the application pack.

You should complete a plan of the premises and return this with the completed form. Guidance is in Appendix A of the application pack.

Please contact the licensing authority if you are applying for a New Premises Licence or a Variation to an existing premises licence prior to submitting the applications to ensure that all information and dates are agreed. The licensing authority encourage applicants to discuss proposals with the Licensing officers and to submit draft applications prior to submission, the officers will advise if there is a requirement for the applicant to discuss the proposals with the responsible authorities. Failure to make contact may result in your application being delayed and costs of advertising/erecting notices being incurred unnecessarily.

The day after you have submitted the application to us you must advertise the application by way of a Notice on the premise (a template is at Appendix E in the application pack)

Within 10 working days following the submission of the application, you must also advertise the application in a newspaper notice circulating in the area.  

Your application will also be advertised on our notice of new premises applications page.

In partnership with EUGO : This link opens in a new window How to apply

Download the PDF Document new premises application form (PDF, 448KB)Opens new window to apply by post.  

Download the  PDF Document variation of a premises application form (PDF, 381KB)Opens new window to apply by post.

Apply for a  online.

Apply for a Minor variation of a premises licence online.

Apply for a Variation of a designated premises supervisor online.

Apply for a Notification of an interest in premises online.

Apply for a Application to transfer premises licence online.

Apply for a Interim authority notice online.


You must complete the application form in full.  You will need to pay the application fee when you submit your form. 

Other forms for premises licenses are available on the websiteOpens new window.


You must submit your fee with the application. 

If you apply by post you should make cheques payable to 'City and County of Swansea' and send it with your completed form.


Tacit consent

We have a target completion period of 40 days for this notice. We aim to acknowledge your application and to begin processing it within this period. If you have not heard from us by the end of this period you will be able to act as though your application is granted.

Please note that this target period only begins on receipt of a complete application including any supporting documents and payments.

For minor variations tacit consent does not apply. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us using the details below. 


If you have any problems with your application, would like more information or would like to view the register of premises then please contact us on 01792 635600 or email Any applicant who is refused a certificate or who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their certificate can appeal to their local Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.


We hold a public register of all premises licensed by us under the Licensing Act 2003. To view the register please contact Licensing to arrange a time. The register is only available to view during office hours.

Powered by GOSS iCM