Toggle mobile menu visibility

Performing Animals

If you exhibit, use or train performing animals you need to register with us. This includes the use of animals in stage performances, at circuses and as part of an exhibition.

The Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925 does not apply to the training and exhibition of animals for bone fide military, police, agricultural or sporting purposes.

Police and local authority officers including a vet, have the power to enter premises where animals are being trained and exhibited. If cruelty and neglect is detected, magistrates' courts can prohibit or restrict the training or exhibition of the animals and suspend or cancel the registration granted under the Act.

In partnership with EUGO logo
How to apply

Apply for a performing animals licence Apply for a performing animals licence

You must complete the application form in full.  You will need to pay the application fee when you submit your form.  There will be a fee to pay for the vets visit once this has been done.


Animal licences fees Animal licences fees

You must submit your fee with the application.  You will be asked to pay a further fee to cover the vets visit once that has taken place.

If you apply by post you should make cheques payable to 'City and County of Swansea' and send it with your completed form.


Tacit consent

It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact Licensing.


If you have any problems with your application, would like more information or would like to view the register of premises then please contact us on 01792 635600 or email

Apply for a performing animals licence

Use our online form to apply for a licence to exhibit, use or train performing animals.
Close Choose Language