Toggle mobile menu visibility

Pavement café licence

A pavement café licence enables businesses to provide designated seating only areas outside for their customers to eat and drink.

If you wish to place tables, chairs, umbrellas or any other items on pavements or in pedestrian areas for the consumption of food and / or beverages, you must apply for a pavement café licence.

We have produced a  guide to help you set up a pavement cafe and apply for a pavement café licence or memorandum (PDF) [553KB].

What you need to know

Whilst some changes have been made to the pavement café application process to make the process quicker and more affordable, all pavement cafés must be safe and accessible, and not impede access for pedestrians, wheelchair users and those with sight impairment.

How to apply

We have introduced a new application procedure which will allow all new successful applicants to quickly create an outdoor seating area for a 12 month period.

You will need to apply for this by using our application form below.

On receipt of your application, the Highways Department will contact you to discuss your outdoor area. Please do not place any items outside until approval has been given.

By law, any new outdoor seating area on the highway must be subject to a 28 day consultation period. You can continue to use your outdoor space during this period, subject to terms and conditions.

Please note that, should Swansea Council receive any valid objections to the use of the seating area at your premises, we may review, amend or revoke the application.

The pavement café licence will allow applicants place tables and chairs on the highway between 7.30am - 11.00pm.

The pavement café licence is subject to a number of terms and conditions and you are advised to read these in full as failure to observe these may result in your application being revoked.


Fees are charged based on the number of chairs your licence covers and where your pavement cafe will be located.

Location of pavement cafeFee per chair

If you have any problems with your application or would like more information, please contact us: Highways.

This form is available in Welsh - click on 'Cymraeg' in the top right corner of your screen.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon Email icon


Print icon
Last modified on 11 March 2024