Toggle mobile menu visibility

Mental health

Support for people who have mental health difficulties, their families and carers.

For most people, the first point of contact for support with mental health problems is their GP who will identify whether an assessment from a mental health professional is required.

Local primary mental health support service

This service is accessed via a GP. It provides assessment and structured short-term therapy and support in the community for mental health issues such as phobias, depression, obsessive compulsive disorder, social anxiety or other interpersonal issues. The support available includes counselling and cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and may be provided on a one-to-one or group basis. There are also links with a number of community groups that help people build their confidence.

Community mental health teams

This includes both social care and health service staff, covering the Swansea area. Their main role is to provide an assessment and care co-ordination service for people who have severe or enduring mental illness that significantly impacts on their functioning or ability to manage daily living. People with mental health problems are usually put in touch with the community mental health teams by their GP.


Services and support

Social Services works in partnership with Swansea Bay University Health Board (opens new window), an alliance of mental health day service providers and service user / carer groups in Swansea to provide a network of services for people who have severe or enduring mental health problems, their families and carers.

Services available for people with mental health problems who meet the eligibility criteria for support include day services. There are also close links with local colleges and residential services that can form part of a rehabilitation programme. These services are intended to help people receive effective treatment, care and support and develop skills and interests so that they can live as fulfilled and independent a life as possible.

The principles of recovery are followed and an individual's programme will evolve as their need changes. Service users are encouraged to become involved in leading groups and activities as well as participating. Value is placed on individual belief, choice and aspiration, promoting maximised independence and community integration.

If your mental health deteriorates after discharge

Under the Mental Health (Wales) Measure 2010, people who are discharged from secondary mental health services can refer themselves back to the service for assessment within a 3 year period.

If a person has been discharged from secondary services for longer than 3 years, they then have to present themselves to their GP for assessment.

If you wish to refer yourself for assessment within the 3 year period you need to contact the service that operates in your area.

There are different contact details for people who use Adult Services to those who use Older People's services.

If you require support to re-access services please contact Advocacy Support Cymru (ASC), this is a free of charge service.


Further information, advice and support for mental wellbeing

A number of organisations, both local and national, provide mental health information, advice and support.

Living with dementia

Social Services and other support groups can provide information and practical assistance which can help someone living with dementia do so with both choice and independence.