Toggle mobile menu visibility

Hate crime

Find out about reporting hate crime and how to get support if you, or someone you know, is a victim of hate crime.

What is a hate incident or hate crime?

The term 'hate crime' can be used to describe a range of criminal behaviour where the perpetrator is motivated by hostility or demonstrates hostility towards the victim's disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or transgender identity.

This may include:

  • verbal abuse
  • offensive graffiti
  • threatening behaviour
  • damage to property
  • assault
  • bullying including cyber bullying
  • abusive texts, emails or phone calls
  • taking money from you.

Why is it so important to report a hate crime or hate incident?

Hate incidents and hate crimes are under-reported. We need to understand the problem so that the right decisions can be made to stop you or a member of your family and friends from becoming the next victim.

Without knowing that these issues are taking place, we can't stop them happening to you or someone else. Reporting these issues helps us and other organisations track the extent of the problem in your local area and do the right things to make your community safer, a better place to live and make sure the right support is available.

The right support means we can stop victims feeling isolated, depressed, frightened, distressed or even worse taking their own life.

What support is there?

Victim support has been funded by the Welsh Government to increase the reporting of hate crimes and hate incidents across Wales and to offer support to victims of these offences.

Working with other organisations such as the police, victim support can be pro-actively preventing further hate offences through local and national targeted interventions.

Support is tailored to the needs of each victim which may include emotional support, practical support or advocacy. We can also provide you with assistance in reporting a crime to the Police and in attending court, but there is no pressure to do this.

Even if you do not need support yourself, it is still important for us to know what offences are taking place and where.

Who can I contact?

  • Call the police directly by dialling 999 if you are in immediate danger, or 101 for non-emergencies.
  • Ring 0300 3031 982 (24/7) to contact victim support directly. Calls are treated confidentially and you have the option to remain anonymous.
  • You can also report online on the Report Hate Crime website (opens new window)
  • If you are a council tenant you can also report it to your local area housing office - your neighbourhood officer will investigate the complaint.