Search site

Education welfare service frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions about the education welfare service.

Is it my responsibility to make sure my child attends school regularly?

Parents have a legal duty to ensure that their children are educated.

The law says that if a child of compulsory school age who is a registered pupil at a school fails to attend regularly at the school, his parent is guilty of an offence (Education Act 1996, Section 444(1)).
Regular attendance at school will be essential to your child's potential achievements and their future life choices. If a child does not attend school and there is not an acceptable reason for the absences, legal proceedings against the parent in the Magistrates' Court will be considered.

Warning letters are issued when this is the case.

Who is able to provide me with help and advice on difficulties with school attendance?

Education welfare officers are available to offer parents and pupils advice and support on a range of issues at home and/or at school.

Education welfare officers are based in all secondary schools and can be contacted through your child's school or by contacting the Education welfare service

Who deals with performance licensing?

Education welfare officers do not process or approve performance licences, but may contact parents if a child's academic ability is affected by a child taking part in a performance. 

See our section on Child employment and Child performance licensing  or contact The School and Governor Team for more information on licences.

What do I do if my child wants to work part-time while still at school?

The education welfare service processes applications for child employment licences. 
All children who want to work while still of compulsory school age must have a child employment permit.

For further information contact the Education welfare service.

What do I do if I want my child to go to a different school?

You may express a preference for a school other than the local catchment area school. Before making a decision to move your child it is recommended that you discuss your reasons with the school education welfare officer.

Moving to another school can disadvantage pupils by disrupting their education.

Who do I contact if my child has been excluded?

Information is available for parents and pupils about exclusion from schools.

If you need advice or help on any point that relates to exclusions please contact the The School and Governor Team

The education welfare officer can also give you information and support when your child has been excluded.

Your education welfare officer can be contacted through your child's school. Education welfare officers are based in secondary schools. You may also contact the Principal education welfare officer.

Exclusions from schools

What do I do if my child is unable to attend school?

If your child is ill or unable to attend school for any reason, you are advised to contact your child's school on the first day of absence.

If you have problems which affect your child's attendance you are advised to inform the school. There will be staff available to help or advise you.

The education welfare officer will also be able to advise you and offer support.

Your education welfare officer can be contacted through your child's school. Education welfare officers are based in secondary schools. You may also contact the Principal education welfare officer.

What do I do if I want to take my child on holiday during term time?

The local authority is fully supportive of the national drive to raise school attendance, recognising the crucial link between attendance and attainment. It is already clear from ongoing attendance data to date that the strategy of actively discouraging the taking of holidays in term time has resulted in a significant improvement in attainment across schools in the City and County of Swansea.

Parents do not have the automatic right to take their children out of school on holiday during term time and must ask permission beforehand. Headteachers have a margin of discretion to approve holidays and will have regard to a number of factors which include the impact of continuity of learning. If the headteacher does not give permission and a parent takes a child on holiday the absence will be marked as 'unauthorised'. We would encourage parents to prioritise excellent attendance and to discuss any proposed holidays with the school well in advance.

Powered by GOSS iCM