Search site
Exclamation mark

COVID-19 restrictions FAQs

Frequently asked questions about the new restrictions that Welsh Government introduced from midnight on 19 December 2020.

Advice for people who were previously shielding

Waste and recycling

Council housing

Culture, sport, parks and leisure venues

Swansea Market, buses and shopping

Car parks and public toilets


Business support

Births, deaths and weddings

More information from Welsh Government


Advice for people who were previously shielding

The Welsh Government has announced that those who were shielding during the first lockdown this year should take further steps to protect themselves from Covid-19. 

Welsh Government Health Minister Vaughan Gething has written directly to around 9,000 people in Swansea to update them about what to do in the light of a sustained increase in infection rates from the virus with letters expected to arrive after Christmas. Read more and get advice here:


Waste and recycling

Can I still recycle my household waste?

Kerbside collections and bulky waste collections have continued and Swansea's recycling centres are open, although please only visit if essential. People planning on visiting Llansamlet recycling centre need to book a slot in advance on 

Tip Treasures in Llansamlet is closed. 


Council housing

Are new kitchen and bathroom fittings in council properties going ahead?

All kitchen and bathroom work is continuing as long as both the contractor and tenants are well and have no symptoms of coronavirus. Contractors will make contact with tenants to agree when the work will start.

Can I still contact the district housing office?

In common with other council offices, district housing offices are currently closed for public access. Our staff are still contactable and our online services will be available as normal. Emergencies will be dealt with.

How do I report a repair to my council property?

Due to the coronavirus and the government's guidance we have had to change how we repair and maintain your home. We will carry on providing emergency repairs and out of hours service to ensure you remain safe in your home. Please be aware that non-urgent repairs may take longer than normal as we continue to work to protect tenants and staff during this current lock-down period. You will be advised of any delay when you contact the call centre to report your repair.

Tenants can contact the Housing Repairs Call Centre on 01792 635100 (Monday to Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm and Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm) or report the repair online: Request a housing repair online
For out of hours emergency repairs, tenants should phone 01792 521500 (Monday - Thursday 5.00pm - 8.30am and Friday 4.30pm to Monday 8.30am).  Information on emergency repairs can be found here: Emergency repairs.

If tenants are suffering from any symptoms of Covid-19 (Coronavirus), it is important they make staff aware at the time the repair is reported. Staff will adhere to the Government's social distancing guidelines and tenants will be asked to respect this.

What do I do if I am homeless or at risk from losing my home?

If you currently have nowhere to live or think that you may be at risk of losing your accommodation, you should contact us as soon as possible. The Housing Options service continues to be available via telephone 01792 533100, 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am to 4.30pm Friday and by email at


Culture, sport, parks and leisure venues

Glynn Vivian, Plantasia, Grand Theatre, Swansea Museum, West Glamorgan Archive Service, local gyms, sport / leisure facilities and swimming pools are now closed. This will be reviewed in January following direction from the Welsh Government. 

Can I visit a library?

Libraries are open for ordering books and audiobooks via the click and collect service. Please use your nearest library.

Digital services are available here including ebooks, eaudio and emagazines. Please visit to keep up to date with any changes.

Parks and playgrounds

Parks and playgrounds are open. Singleton Botanical Gardens is open, except for the greenhouses.

What exercise am I allowed to do?

Exercise is important for physical and mental health. While Alert level 4 restrictions are in place, you can leave home as often as you like to exercise, as long as you do so alone or with members of your household or support bubble (and/or a carer).

Parks and playgrounds are allowed to remain open for outdoor exercise. However, you should only attend parks with members of your own household or support bubble and must not arrange to meet with other households. Some parts of parks, such as sports courts, skate parks, bowling greens and golf courses will be closed.

There are no limits on the distance you can travel during exercise, though the nearer you stay to your home, the better. Your exercise should start and finish from your home and generally, this should not involve people driving to a location away from home. 

Will I be able to train outdoors with my sports club or play outdoor sport with a group of friends?

No, all organised and social gatherings of this kind is prohibited in Alert Level 4. National governing bodies of sport will issue further guidance for sports clubs.

Will I be able to attend an organised outdoor fitness class?

No, this will not be possible at Alert Level 4.

Will sport and health activities take place in parks and open spaces e.g.the ParkLives and Active Young People programme?

Unfortunately, we've had to cancel all planned and pre-booked sport and physical activity in local parks and open spaces. Our virtual online activities are unaffected.

What about council organised online sport and health sessions?

Online sessions will continue as planned, including sessions in exercise referral and Park Lives.

Will community centres remain open? Can I access these buildings for planned activities such as dance and other social events?

Following the Level 4 information from Welsh Government, Community Centres can have limited opening for essential public services, therefore, education, essential childcare providers and food banks will be the only services operating from community centres until further notice.

Will outdoor markets take place?

The organisers of the Marina / Uplands and Mumbles markets have decided to pause operations for the time being. For updates and information of click and collect services see

Will outdoor eating areas within council parks remain open e.g. Southend Gardens, Mumbles?

Southend Gardens outdoor eating areas have closed temporarily.

Can I attend organised events?

During alert level four organised indoor or outdoor events and activities are not permitted:

  • Indoor activities - limited to public and voluntary services
  • Outdoor activities - not possible
  • Stadia are closed to spectators
  • Outdoor exercise is limited to individuals or with members of your own household (i.e. those that you live with) only

Langland beach huts and Thistleboon Caravan Park

Owing to the short notice and practicalities, the council is not requesting seasonal beach huts to be vacated of personal belonging or the returning of all keys ahead of the seasonal end date of 31 January 2021, at which point when all keys must be returned to the Council. Licence holders that have any concerns should contact


City centre, Swansea Market and toilets 

What about Swansea Market?

Essential retailers are open.  Click and collect is allowed, so customers can access the market to pick up items they have already ordered. Visitors to the market must wear face coverings at all times unless they are medically exempt and all visitors must maintain social distancing. 

The public toilets located there will remain open. Some traders are continuing to offer delivery services which are promoted via the Swansea Market website:

Are shops open?

Essential retail shops are open. More information about which retailers are allowed to open is on the Welsh Government website: Business closures: alert level 4 | GOV.WALES

Is Swansea Mobility Hire open?

Yes. Please book online - Swansea Mobility Hire

Is the bus station open?

The bus station and toilets are open. The bus station will close on Christmas Eve evening and reopen on Sunday 27 December. It is also closed on 1 January. Other than that it will operate as normal including the toilet facilities.

First Cymru and other operators are operating their Christmas service levels 

Park and ride

Park and ride will run until 2 January and then will be suspended.


Car parks and public toilets

Car parks

All car parks are open throughout the city and county of Swansea.

Public toilets

All public toilets are open.



Will all schools be open in January?

The Welsh Government has announced today (8 January 2021) that all learners will continue to learn remotely while vulnerable children and children of critical workers will have access to on-site provision, until at least 29 January when the position will be reviewed.  Special schools, where possible, will remain open. The Welsh Government has also stated that schools could remain shut until February half-term unless Covid-19 cases fall.

Schools will look to provide childcare to our most vulnerable children and those key workers that have no other option available to them from 6 January onwards. This provision should only be accessed as a last resort and wherever possible pupils should remain home.

All schools will provide remote learning from Wednesday 6 January. Remote learning can be delivered in numerous ways and a number of different methods will be used within and across our schools. These methods will include "live" lessons, recorded lessons, work packs etc.

Additional payments or food parcels will be provided for learners entitled to free school meals during the period of home learning.

Parents and carers will be contacted directly by their schools with the arrangements that apply to them.

How can parents and carers support schools?

It is important when you are dropping off or collecting children from school that you follow social distancing and no matter how tempting please do not congregate at the school gates. If your school asks you to wear face masks please support the school to keep everyone safe. It is vital that all parents help set an example to pupils and help keep coronavirus out of the classroom.


Business support

What help is there for businesses who had to shut during the firebreak?

Welsh Government has launched grants to help businesses survive the economic consequences of the Welsh national lockdown imposed as a result of coronavirus (Covid-19). The online application forms are now available.



Births, deaths and weddings

Can I still register a birth?

We will honour the appointments that we have booked in for Monday 21 and Tuesday 22 December.  We will not be booking birth registration appointments for the lockdown period except in emergency cases. New parents can however, continue to complete the online appointment form and we will contact you in due course to arrange an appointment. Parents do not need to worry about complying with the requirement to register within 6 weeks.

Can I register a death?

We will continue to register deaths over the telephone. .

What about crematoria?

These will remain open.

Will bereavement services be continuing during the firebreak?

Yes, services will continue as follows:

  • For arranging a funeral or contacting bereavement services: the bereavement services admin office remains closed to the public but contact can be made at or telephone 01792 636481.
  • Cremation services: funeral attendance at Swansea crematorium is limited to 20 people; Singing, chanting and the use of wind instruments is not permitted due to the possible additional risk of infection; face coverings must be worn inside the chapel; the hall of remembrance is open but can only accommodate one visitor at a time. In order to prevent gatherings of people outside the crematorium the external speakers are not in operation.
  • Burial services: Our cemeteries remain open for burials and for visiting graves; the same attendance restrictions apply for burials i.e. 20 people maximum.

In line with Welsh Government regulations you should only attend a funeral if:

  • you are the person responsible for arranging the funeral;
  • you have been invited by the person arranging the funeral;
  • you are the carer of a person attending the funeral.

Mourners will need to keep two metres apart unless they live in the same household; people should not attend a service if they are unwell or if they are self-isolating or are vulnerable to the coronavirus; also extensive travel should be avoided to attend a funeral.

What about copy certificates?

Customers can continue to apply for copy certificates online but unless a certificate is urgently required we would ask customers to avoid ordering during this period. 

We will be unable to provide priority certificates during the Christmas period when the office is closed. Additionally, we are currently unable to deal with requests for family history certificates that require searches.

What about notices of marriage/civil partnerships?

We will honour the appointments that we have booked for Monday 21 and Tuesday 22 December. We will not be booking any notice appointments for the lockdown period except in emergency cases.

What about citizenship ceremonies?

We will be able to arrange short individual Citizenship ceremonies in the New Year if urgently required. Please email the Register Office to enquire.

What about wedding ceremonies?

Ceremonies at the Civic Centre can go ahead. If your ceremony is scheduled to take place in the Register Office you must bring two witnesses only. If your ceremony is taking place in the Swansea Bay Ceremony Rooms you will be able to bring a maximum of 10 guests (including children). Please note that ceremonies will be brief to enable the legal marriage to proceed with social distancing and other measures in place to minimise the risk of spreading the virus on the premises.

Approved venues such as hotels and hospitality venues are required to close.

Couples due to marry in a place of worship should continue to contact the church/chapel to check whether their ceremony can still go ahead.


Where can I find out more information?

The best place is the Welsh Government website: new window

Alert level 4 summary | GOV.WALES

Business closures: alert level 4 | GOV.WALES

Alert level 4: frequently asked questions | GOV.WALES

Powered by GOSS iCM