Search site
House with tick

Claim Council Tax Reduction

You can apply for Council Tax Reduction whether you're unemployed or working however if you have over £16,000 capital you will not normally be entitled to a reduction. Find out how to claim help with your Council Tax if you are on a low income.

Your Privacy

Swansea Council is the data controller for the personal information you provide on this form. Your information will be used in the exercise of our official authority and will not be used for any other purpose. We will not share your data with third parties unless we are required or permitted to do so by law.

Data protection law describes the legal basis for our processing your data as necessary for the performance of a public task. For further information about how Swansea Council uses your personal data, including your rights as a data subject, please see our corporate privacy notice on our website.

Click Here to Claim Council Tax Reduction (and or Housing Benefit) Online

If you cannot complete our online application, then you will need to fill in a paper application form. These can be collected from the Contact Centre in Civic Centre or from your local District Housing Office. You can also download the application form:

PDF Document Application form - Council Tax Reduction only (PDF, 117KB)Opens new window

PDF Document If you are currently claiming Council Tax Reduction but are going to move home. (PDF, 69KB)Opens new window

If you can't send us the application form straight away, you can still tell us you intend to claim by completing this form

What evidence has to be provided with the application form

You will usually need to provide proof of:

  • National Insurance numbers for you and your partner
  • Identity for you and your partner
  • Capital, savings and investments
  • Earnings
  • Any other income
  • Benefits, allowances or pensions

Electronic copies of most documents may be accepted, apart from the proof of your National Insurance Number and identity. We cannot pay you benefit until we have seen all the proof we have asked for.

Send us electronic copies of documents using our online form.  

You can print these forms off and have them completed and send to us as evidence.

If you cannot provide some of this evidence, please contact us and we can talk about other ways we can get the proof. 

Will I qualify for Council Tax Reduction?

Our online benefits calculator can work out an estimate of whether you are likely to qualify for a reduction.

Things to remember

  • Hand your application in as soon as you can. Your reduction will normally start from the date we receive your application form.
  • Provide all the supporting evidence we ask for. We will not be able to pay your benefit until we have seen all the evidence needed.
  • If you need to apply for Housing Benefit AND Council Tax Reduction, the same form is used for both so you only need to complete one.
  • We can't award Council Tax Reduction unless you make a claim.
Powered by GOSS iCM