We offer a kerbside collection for large household items such as beds, carpets, fridges, freezers and wardrobes.
How much does it cost?
- 1 to 3 items - £23
- 4 to 6 items (maximum) - £46
All collections must be booked and paid for in advance.
If you are on income support, income related job seekers allowance, income related employment and support allowance or guaranteed pension credit and Universal Credit you are entitled to a maximum of 3 collections of up to 3 items at half price over a 12 month period.
Book and pay for a collection
Before you book a collection make sure you check the list of items that we are not able to collect below.
- by phone on 01792 635600
- in person at the Contact Centre (Civic Centre)
Collections are usually made on the same day as your recycling and rubbish collections.
Once booked an email will be sent within 3 working days to confirm the collection date. Please check your spam / junk email folders in case it does not appear in your main email folder. If you have still not received your confirmation email after 3 working days, phone the team on 01792 635600.
We require at least 24 hours' notice of cancellation as after that time the collection crew are committed to the collection and expenses have been incurred. Please note that if your collection day is on a Monday then we need to know by 12.00pm on the Friday before.
Get ready for your collection
- Put the items out for collection on the kerbside between 7.00pm the evening before your collection and 7.00am on the morning of your collection day - the collection team will not be able to enter the property.
- Only put out the items you described when booking your collection.
- Keep items dry and don't leave them outside for a long time in all weathers. If you are leaving out an item that could absorb water (for example mattress or settee) then please cover them. Wet items may be too heavy to lift and may not be collected.
- items which are too heavy to lift safely by the collection crew
- items from inside the property or garden
- from commercial (business) premises
- hazardous waste, for example asbestos, car batteries, paint etc
- items containing glass or mirrors
- external doors
- fixtures such as bathroom suites
- boilers, gas bottles or oil tanks
- builders rubble
- car tyres/wheels
- interior fixtures of vehicles (seats, etc)
- car parts (bumpers, exhausts, etc)
- garden sheds
- wooden pallets
- PVC materials
- more than 2 fridges and freezers per booking
What happens to the items collected?
All items collected are sorted for reuse or recycling.
Other ways to recycle your bulky waste
You can donate reusable bulky items directly to our reuse shop or to a local charity or reuse organisation. Or you could sell/gift your item via an online marketplace.
Certain items can also be disposed of for free at our household waste recycling centres.
Businesses and landlords
This service is for residents only - it cannot be used for business waste (including electricals or furniture owned by the landlord of a rented property). To prevent misuse of this service we will collect a maximum of 2 fridges or mattresses from any one property.