Search site

Benefits are changing, find out more about Benefits for those who are of working age


Find out more about the Benefit cap in this leaflet PDF Document Benefit cap leaflet for tenants (PDF, 23KB)Opens new window

Help and support with paying your rent

You may be entitled to help with paying your rent or you may need support with paying you rent.

Housing Benefit is paid to those on a low income whether they are working or not and is to help you pay your rent.

In general you can apply for Housing Benefit if you satisfy the following conditions.  There are some exceptions to these rules, so if you are unsure about claiming, please contact the Benefits Section for more information:

  • You are over 16
  • You are a named tenant in rented accommodation
  • You have less than £16 000 in savings

The amount of Housing Benefit you will receive depends on the amount of rent you have to pay, the number and ages of people in your family and the amount of income and savings you have. If you are awarded benefit, if there are ever any changes in your family or income please inform the Housing Benefit Section as this may affect what you are entitled to.

To apply for Housing Benefit you need to complete a form that you can get from your District Housing Office, the Housing Benefits Section in the Civic Centre, through the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit  internet pages - there is also information on opening hours etc here, by telephoning the Take Up Team on 01792 635885 or email

If you are getting Housing Benefit, even if it is only a small amount, but are still finding it hard to pay your rent, you may be able to get extra help by applying for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

You can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment to help pay your rent if:

  • You are already getting Housing Benefit
  • Your Housing Benefit is below the full rent less any services for which Housing Benefit cannot be paid such as heating charges or water rates
  • Special circumstances exist which mean you cannot pay the difference between your benefit and your full rent

The funds available under this scheme are limited and the Council intends to target payments to those in the greatest need.

Support Services

If you need financial advice, the following organisations may be able to assist:

Council's Financial Inclusion Officer: If you are having difficulty with your rent contact Paula Montez 01792 534098 or 07920 560244 email :

Tenancy Support Unit (TSU) - the TSU is run by the City and County of Swansea and they can offer a support worker to help with financial or any other support in relation to your tenancy.  Please contact your Rent Officer or the TSU on 774360 for further information or email

Citizens Advice Swansea Neath Port TalbotOpens new window  - Swansea Citizen's Advice are at Llys Glas, Pleasant Street, Swansea, SA1 5DS, Advice Line: 03454 04 05 06 or there is a drop in service at the office.

Shelter CymruOpens new window  - if you threatened with homelessness they will offer you free advice and assistance, telephone 469400.

Housing Options  - offers a money and debt advice service on all aspects of debt and money management.  They offer free advice if your tenancy is at risk.  Their telephone number is 533100 or email

Debt advice  - free support and advice on managing debt for people who have money worries or debt concerns

StepChangeOpens new window  - debt charity offer free debt advice.

Housing Debt Helpline WalesOpens new window  -  Tel : 0800 107 1340 

Powered by GOSS iCM