Search site

Council tenants looking to move outside of Swansea

You may want to move to another area outside Swansea.

Other Councils

Advisers in Housing Options can give you further advice on how to apply to other Councils.  However you may only be accepted if certain criteria are met eg a connection with the area you are applying to.

Mutual exchange - home swap

HomeSwapper : This link opens in a new window

If you are a Council or Housing Association tenant you can swap your home (called a mutual exchange) with tenants of other Councils or Housing Associations with your landlord's agreement. You can apply to exchange your home by joining HomeSwapperOpens new window.  This is a free online national mutual exchange service which has been set up for tenants of council and Housing Association properties looking to swap homes.

Once you have registered and added details about your current home and about the home you want, HomeSwapperOpens new window will automatically match you to possible home swaps.  You will then get an email or text with details of those matches.  

When you have found someone you would like to swap your home with:

  • Arrange to visit each other's homes.  When you swap you are accepting the property in the general standard of repair and decoration that you see it in, any minor repairs or decoration needed would be your responsibility. 
  • When you have made the decision to swap home, you will then have to get written permission from your landlord before you can swap.  You will be given a decision within 42 days. Your exchange can be refused for specific reasons such as:
    • the property is smaller/larger than you need
    • you have rent arrears
    • you have breached your tenancy conditions

You must never make or accept any payment for an exchange with another tenant.
You must not move until you have had permission from us, if you do this, then we can ask you to move back.

Visit HomeSwapperOpens new window for more information.

Powered by GOSS iCM