Search site

Thinking of building a driveway?

If you are a council tenant and do not have a driveway but are thinking of building one, here are some guidelines.

Many properties within the City and County of Swansea were built at a time when only a small proportion of households owned a car; therefore very few homes were built with driveways or car parking provision.

If you are thinking of building a driveway or hard standing area on your property:

1. You need to ask permission from your District Housing Office

2. If this is granted you would then need to arrange for a dropped kerb or crossover to be constructed, which will allow your car to cross the pavement to the driveway.

By law (The Highways Act 1980), you need to apply for a crossover. It is illegal to tamper with, alter, or damage the pavements and kerbstones outside your property - ONLY the Highways Authority can install a crossover.

Applying for a driveway or crossover

The following guidelines should help you through the procedures for applying for a crossover and driveway:-

Step one - Applying for a hard standing/ driveway

  • Permission is required via the local District Housing Office before a hard standing can be built, and this must be constructed to certain specifications.
  • Unlike the crossover you can install this yourself or employ a builder of your choice providing you meet the correct specifications.
  • If permission is granted you can then go on to apply for permission for a crossover.

Step two - Applying for permission for a crossover

Download and complete the application form on our dropped kerbs page.  You should return the application with the application fee to Streetworks Section, Place Department, Players Industrial Estate, Clydach, Swansea, SA6 5BJ.

Powered by GOSS iCM