Search site

The Discretionary Assistance Fund

The Discretionary Assistance Fund offers payments or in-kind support to people needing urgent assistance and where there is an identified need to safeguard health and wellbeing.

Payments are available to people who have no other means of meeting the immediate cost of living and have no access to support from friends/family or budgeting loans from the Social Fund.  They are not intended to meet the cost of ongoing expenses.

Within the scheme there are two types of non-repayable grant support:

  • Emergency Assistance Payments - assistance in an emergency or when there is an immediate threat to health or wellbeing. Anyone over the age of 16 can be considered eligible for these payments if they need help to meet expenses due to an emergency or because of a disaster.
  • Individual Assistance Payments - to meet an urgent identified need that enables or supports vulnerable people to establish themselves or remain living independently in the community. (To be eligible applicants must be: entitled to and be in receipt of income related welfare benefits (income support; income related employment and support allowance; income based jobseekers allowance or guarantee credit of pension credit; or if they are due to leave an institution or care home within 6 weeks, that they are likely to be entitled to receive income related welfare benefits on leaving).

How to apply

Advice on how to apply can be found on the moneymadeclearwalesOpens new window website.

Unhappy with the decision?

Advice on how to appeal can be found on the moneymadeclearwalesOpens new window website.

Powered by GOSS iCM