Search site
Universal faith symbol

Religious marriages and ceremonies abroad

A religious wedding can take place at a church, chapel or other registered religious building.

Church in Wales and Church of England weddings

If you are planning a Church of England or Church in Wales wedding, you must see the vicar of the parish where you live.  If they are able to marry you, they will arrange for banns to be called.  The marriage will be registered by the vicar and there is usually no need to involve the local register office.

Weddings of any other Religious Denomination

If your wedding is to be held in a building of another Christian denomination or in the building of another religious order, you must give notice in the same way as for marriage in a Register Office.  Usually you must live in the district where you plan to marry. 

A registrar from the district in which the building is situated must attend your ceremony unless the building has its own registrar (an Authorised person).  It is advisable that you check this and confirm the availability of a registrar before you set a date.  There is a fee for the registrar to attend at a marriage.

Same sex couples may also have a religious marriage ceremony at a Church or Chapel which has been authorised for the purpose. Please contact us for more information.

Registration of Civil Partnerships in Religious Buildings

It is possible to register a Civil Partnership in a religious building which has been authorised for the purpose by the Local Authority. Please contact us for more information.

Ceremonies abroad

The rules governing marriages in other countries are complex and vary from country to country. We recommend you contact the authorities in the country in which you intend to marry to ensure you fulfil all of their requirements for a legal marriage. It may be necessary for you to complete procedures with your local register office. For more information please contact us on 01792 636188.

Powered by GOSS iCM