Search site

Full plans application for building regulations

You can use a full plans notice for all types of building work. Your plans will be checked before work starts to make sure they comply with the building regulations.

Full plans should be submitted for any new buildings, extensions or alterations or major structural alterations to any building. You will also need to submit full plans if you are creating a new room or rooms within a roof. More information about this is on our Loft conversions page.

If you are building a small single storey domestic extension then you may only need to submit a building notice.

How to apply 

You should contact Swansea Building Control on 01792 635636 or email to get a competitive quote.  You can find out how to make a payment on our Fees page.

You need to submit scaled plans including full specifications.  You may decide to use an architect or surveyor to do this.

You should submit the full plans application form along with plans and documents and the correct fee.  For domestic works you should submit 2 copies of the plans.  For non domestic works you should submit 4 copies of your plans.

You can post the application to Swansea Building Control or bring it to the Contact Centre in the Civic Centre. You can also submit your application electronically if you have the means to do so. Please send  your details to

What happens next

Once we have received your form and the correct payment we may ask you for extra details such as structural design calculations or plans. 

The work will be inspected by one of our officers as it progresses.  They will tell you if the work does not comply with the building regulations.

Planning permission

Remember you may also need planning permission for the work.  If so you will need to apply and be granted permission before you start work.  Application forms and information are available on our Planning  pages.

Powered by GOSS iCM