Search site
ABC blocks

Apply for a nursery place

In Swansea all primary schools provide part-time nursery education for parents who would like their child to attend a nursery class.

The policy of the Local Authority is to provide part-time nursery education only. A nursery place will be available for your child from the term following their third birthday although it may not be in the school nearest to your home address. You can submit an application for a place at your catchment school or any other school for which you may have a preference. Parents may wish to visit schools before they make a decision about which school they wish to apply for and visits to school should be arranged directly with the headteacher of the relevant school. School websites also provide useful information about schools, as does the Welsh Government website My Local SchoolOpens new window.

For information on the Government funded childcare offer, please refer to: Government funded childcare offer

The Local Authority administers all applications for nursery places in Swansea and once you have decided which school you would like to apply for you should complete an application form. If there is not a place immediately available in your preferred school you may have to put your child's name on a waiting list. There is no right of appeal against the refusal to offer a nursery place in a specific school.

It is also important to note that children attending the nursery class of a school will not have an automatic right of admission to full time education in Reception at the same school. Parents will need to apply for a place in Reception along with other applicants.

For children born between 01/09/16 and 31/08/17, applications are processed in date order within 15 school days or 28 calendar days (whichever is sooner) of the application being received by the Local Authority..

For children born on or after 01/09/17, applications will be processed as follows:

30 Mayfor pupils who will be eligible for a nursery place from 1 September
31 Octoberfor pupils who will be eligible for a nursery place from 1 January
31 Januaryfor pupils who will be eligible for a nursery place after Easter

Parents should not apply for a nursery place until two school terms before their child's third birthday.

If you have more than one child that requires a school place, please complete a separate application for each child.


Powered by GOSS iCM