Civil parking enforcement
The council is responsible for enforcing yellow lines and parking bays. Civil Enforcement Officers are able to issue Penalty Charge Notices (PCN) for any vehicle in breach of these traffic regulations.
The council's Civil Enforcement Officers issue Penalty Charge Notices (PCN) to those vehicles contravening the parking restrictions for on and off street parking, which includes car parks.
Appeal against a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)The current penalty charge is either £70 for high rate contraventions, or £50 for low rate contraventions. This is reduced by 50% if the penalty is paid within 14 days, or increased by 50% if the penalty is outstanding after the 28 day payment period.
The City and County of Swansea is responsible for the enforcement of:
- yellow lines
- residents parking bays
- bus stops and clearways
- disabled parking bays
- pay and display bays
- council car parks
- taxi ranks
- pedestrian crossing and zig zag markings
- controlled parking areas
- dropped kerbs (vehicle crossovers)
The Police are responsible for:
- obstruction of the highway
- dropped kerbs (vehicle crossovers) and where there are obstruction issues
- pavement parking
- moving traffic offences
How to avoid incurring a penalty charge
- park safely
- park in the permitted spaces provided
- check the sign plates for time limits, these can vary. Please note that the signs can be some distance away if the area is part of a controlled parking zone.
- depart within the time limit
- use and display your disabled person's badge as instructed within the blue badge book
- load and unload as quickly as possible
- look at the road markings before parking
- read the highway code to refresh your memory of the meaning of markings
- be aware waiting restrictions apply to the whole of the highway including verges and pavements
- display all pay and display tickets correctly
- park on yellow lines
- cause an obstruction
- park on bus stop or clearways even to drop people off
- park on zig zag lines
- park or wait in taxi ranks. Tow away zones apply to all taxi ranks.
Traffic Regulation Orders
The Council can only enforce a parking restriction if a valid Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) is in place. TRO's can be viewed under the TRO Library on the Traffic Penalty Tribunal's website via the link below. Please be aware that newly introduced TRO's may take a little time to appear within the library.